Tigery Language School :
Learn French in a christian community
Tigery Language School is the place to immerse yourself in the French language and the community life of the Christian community living there. It is a place where your language learning experience goes hand in hand with a spiritual and community life experience. The language school takes place close to Paris, in Tigery.
2 and a half months
(From October to mid-December)
(45 minutes from the center of Paris)
-young people between 18 and 30 years old
-Christians of all denominations
-about 10 to 20 people
House of the Chemin Neuf
About 20 brothers and sisters
of the community live there
The financial participation
required is a price range that depends on your country of origin
Application : interview with a
brother or a sister of the
community and application
form to fill out
The course is open to beginners and basic users
The three pillars of the language school are :
- Learning French: participants have French lessons almost every day of the week, and they also have the opportunity to practice the language during various daily activities.
- The rhythm of community life is marked by different prayer times: prayer in community (Lauds and Eucharist) and personal prayer. Such a daily life aims at deepening of one’s personal and intimate relationship with Christ.
- Community life: a wide range of activities are carried out together: meals (which are shared with the other members of the community), service times, prayer times, sharing times, recreational moments, etc.
Method for learning French
The language school allows participants to immerse themselves in the French language for the duration of the programme. Participants practice French during lessons, in their free time, during prayer times, and in shared moments such as meals. During the French lessons, we work on written skills though we particularly focus on oral communication.Students are encouraged to take an active part in the lessons.
Daily life at Tigery Language School
Services in the house
Meals in community
Desert day (prayer, silence)
A cultural experiment
During the language school period, cultural and spiritual trips are organised. Destinations include Mont St Michel, Lisieux and abbeys belonging to the Chemin Neuf Community. These trips are an opportunity to discover emblematic places in France, to experience spiritual events and to build group cohesion.
The language school at Mont St Michel in 2021
What can you do after Tigery Language School ?
- Community daily life experiment : for those who would like to experience the community’s daily life of prayer, work and sharing; it is a good opportunity to leave your everyday routine to listen to the Word of God and continue to improve your French !
- Hautecombe Discipleship School : spiritual and human formation that offers you the possibility to grow in the knowledge of Christ and discover your calling : https://hds.chemin-neuf.org/en/
- Jet program : go abroad for a period of voluntary work, while sharing in the spiritual life and fellowship of the Chemin Neuf Community : https://jet.chemin-neuf.fr/en/
- Other options are possible too : you can chose another proposition of the Chemin Neuf community or from another community, you may also start a new job…